Water Sanitation and Hygiene - Naibowa - Kamuli
Visit by David Balimunsi on 2019-01-30
- Report ID
- Created by
- David Balimunsi
- Created date
- 2019-01-31 06:48:00 UTC
- Modified by
- David Balimunsi
- Modified date
- 2019-02-04 14:43:41 UTC
- Trip Time
- 09:24-17:53 (8 h 29 m)
- Village Time
- 11:30-15:25 (3 h 55 m)
- Travel Time
- 4 h 34 m
- Which Survey
- Number Of Households
- Visits Purpose
- To moniter and asses the sanitation standards.
- Staff Attendees
- David Balimunsi,Steven Kambale
- Government Attendees
- David and Steven were in the village. Their intentions of visiting the village was to meet with the village leaders to decide on the dates for the village meeting. As well as to mobilizing the community members to attend the meeting and triggering.
David along with Steven and the vice chairman of the village mr Lubale they first moved in the few homes which they had left lagging behind during the last evaluation. They were encouraged with the following members mr David Tigawalana ,miss Nangobi scovia ,Tenywa Grace for the new great improvements in their homes . Because they used to be the most complicated homes with in the community to get improved.
However they found the homes mentioned above when they had constructed new latrines . It was great but the they were not meeting the right required standards. Therefore the owners were encouraged to attend the next triggering in order to construct good standardized facilities in their homes.
The last home the Kibo staff visited was for mr Mohamed Byente who had just started his pit construction about 8feet deep. He told David that he was aiming at construct it up to 35 feet deeper.David advised him to double his effort by penetrate through the hard-rock which he had reached to by the use of speak axe instead of a small hoe he was using.
After the successful home to home movements ,the Kibo staff along with mr Lubale visited the village chairman ‘s home to plan for the mobilization for the next coming triggering.
While at the chairman’s home the Kibo staff asked the chairman why there was some great improvements in some homes which had failed to improve before . The chairman of the village mr Moses kakayire told the Kibo staff that the much improvements in the different homes was because of the healthy district officials who had given deadline dates to the above mentioned homes.
The Kibo staff thanked the district for also them being part of what the Kibo was doing in the village. They continued their conversations by the Kibo staff encouraging mr Moses Kakayire who closely connected to the leader of the drama group being part of the next planned triggering for the easy mobilization of the community members.
They also discussed the best venue for the entire process of triggering. They spotted the chairman’s home which had a-bigger shelter . David and Steven explained to the chairman and the vice chairman the important of the triggering lesson. They discussed that the most people don’t know the values of having good sanitation facilities in their homes .
Therefore that is why most of the facilities which were constructed with in some homes were not up to the right standards . The committee members were just constructing for the sake of the district healthy team which was in their village not to imprison them.
On that note mr Kakayire Moses seemed to be more interested and promised the Kibo staff that he will be taking a lead towards the community mobilization for that day. He also proposed that the best way before the triggering process is both the village leaders and the Kibo staff having a meeting as away of more planning.
In general the village was progress well . As the village saving group which meets every Friday grows from 30 to 60members .Except the water and sanitation committee which needs to be reminded of their roles and responsibilities.
- Participation Rating
- Sanitation facility maintenance .
- Village Critical Needs
- Sanitation facility right standards are not yet achieved.
- Village Action Steps
- David and steven left the village leaders with an assignent to organise the community for the next triggering lesson .
- Staff Action Steps
- To follow up with the village chairman through phone call to check if the community is ready for the next triggering lesson .
- CLTS Progress
- CLTS Introductoin
- Sanitation Hygiene Committee
- Water Users Committee
- Other Class Notes
- Community Ownership
- Ownership Story
- The Village has got a village saving group which has developed from 20 to 35 members
- Three Stone Fires
- Access to Clean Water
- Open Defecation
- Water Access Explain
- The members still move longer distances from where they can assess water and the closest borehole which the Kibo repaired later on its water changed into being salty.
- Prevent Ownership
- Allow Ownership
- The district healthy team has been active in the village
- Village Notes
- There is no case of open deification but the sanitation facilities are not up to the right standards.
Next Visit: 2019-02-20 - Purpose: To organize the village for the next triggering lesson.