Healthy and Safe Kitchens - Buyange - Namutumba

Visit by Suzan Winnie on 2020-08-19

Report ID
9796
Created by
Suzan Winnie
Created date
2020-08-20 09:56:00 UTC
Modified by
Suzan Winnie
Modified date
2020-08-20 14:10:50 UTC
Trip Time
10:13-17:10 (6 h 57 m)
Village Time
12:08-14:46 (2 h 38 m)
Travel Time
4 h 19 m

Kitchens all groups

Lesson Taught
follow up smearing,teach raised storage 
How Many Men Attended
How Many Women Attended
Staff Attendees
Tape Bwana 
Government Attendess
VHT 
Visitor Attendees
Non 
Total Attendance
10 
Program
Healthy and Safe Kitchens 
Notes
Tape went to the village to follow up on the program facilities such as the construction of the high risen firewood storages and the kitchen roofs which were leaking. She arrived in time and found four program leaders at the meeting place who warmly welcomed her to the village. They briefly sat down together and first discussed about the activities that were taking place in the village, then agreed to walk around the homes especially those which still had poor facilities. As they walked,Tape observed that most members had improved in their sanitation and hygiene around their homes together with their facilities which were well maintained. A few homes still needed to repair and smear their facilities such as the stoves with big cracks, leaking kitchen roofs and construction of the firewood storages in the kitchens. Tape kept on advising the members to squeeze some time and see that they improved on their facilities so as to live a better healthy life with their families. In the process, they came across a young child who had got burnt in one of the homes visited that day, and when the mother was asked what happened, she replied saying that it was out of the three stones open flames stove that her baby got burnt. She said although she had a fuel efficient stove in her kitchen,her husband refused eating fish and some other type of food prepared on the improved stove because he believed it would only bring bad luck in the home such as death of family members. The young child was sitting next to her mother when she was cooking and suddenly one of the stones slipped away and the hot sauce poured on her. Tape sat down with both the parents and began explaining how it was very important to cook on the new saving stove,she went ahead and blamed the father to the child for listening to false beliefs concerning the new improved stoves especially now that his child had got burnt. The husband felt very sorry about it and apologized promising to always cook on their new stove as much as possible because at least he has learnt a big lesson.The members present thanked tape for the advice given and the meeting came to an end. 
Next Visit
2020-08-28 - Purpose: Follow up on the construction of the kitchen roofs,and stove usage,smearing of the buildings and the case of the child who was burnt by a three stones open flames stove.
Program Success
Program Critical Needs
Program Ownership
Other Program Observations
Program Expected Of Village
Program Staff Preparations Next Visit
 

Report Photos

12874 A young child who got burnt while her mother was cooking on a three stones open flames stove.
12877 One of the members with enough firewood on her storage in her kitchen.